Dental Crowns Near Me in Evanston
Dental Crowns Near Me
What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that is placed on top of your tooth to cover damage on the tooth. If you have an underlying problem, your dentist will fix the problem before placing the crown. It can also be used to replace a missing tooth together with a dental implant or dental bridge. There are different types of crown according to the design material such as metal, porcelain, resin, and ceramic.
You may need a dental crown to;
- Protect a weak tooth
- Restore a broken tooth
- Cover and support a tooth with a large filling
- Hold a dental bridge in place
- Cover a discolored tooth
- Support a dental implant
You can get dental crowns in one or two appointments. The most common
treatment is the one administered in two appointments.
Dental crown placement (two appointments)
It involves the following steps
- The dentist examines and prepares the tooth that needs the crown.
X-rays may be done.
- Your dentist then removes part of the outer layer of the
- Your dentist then creates an impression of the filled tooth and
- The dentist will put a temporary crown over your tooth to protect
it after which the next appointment is set.
- After a few weeks, you return for the second appointment to have
your crown fitted.
Same-day procedure (one appointment)
With a same-day procedure, you skip the temporary crown step.
- Your dentist takes digital images of your mouth to create your
crown in approximately an hour or 2.
- Once the crown is ready, your dentist fits it into place. The
entire process takes approximately 5 hours.
Are you a candidate for a dental crown? Find out by calling us to
speak to dental crown specialists near you.